Cerberus is a leading global investor in real estate and real estate-related assets. We invest in the debt and equity of commercial and residential properties and portfolios, as well as directly into real estate operating companies and servicing platforms that can provide our investments with a competitive edge to drive value.
Our tenured, senior team has extensive experience sourcing and investing across asset classes, property types, and geographies during all phases of the economic cycle. Since inception in 1993, Cerberus Real Estate has invested approximately $26 billion of equity in more than 560 transactions around the world, including non-performing loan portfolios secured by real estate, a category where we are one of the world’s leading investors.
Our Investment Approach
We take a disciplined, asset-based approach focused on opportunities where our operating expertise and asset management efforts can solve complex situations and improve fundamental value. Typically, this means investing in situations that are specific to an asset, company, sub-market, or situation. We avoid investments where the value creation thesis is reliant on perceived future macroeconomic or market trends.
With more than 90 real estate professionals, our Real Estate platform has the experience and flexibility to invest in distressed debt, high-yielding senior loans, direct equity, and hybrid investments, among others. Our experience spans highly structured and complicated capital structures, sponsorship/management turnaround issues, divestitures, and bankruptcies.
Types of Investments
- Individual assets and property portfolios in need of repositioning, capital improvements, and/or leasing solutions
- Individual distressed bank loans secured by property
- United States, Asian, and European non-performing loan portfolios
- Distressed securities (including CMBS and RMBS)
- Gap capital for asset recapitalizations, rescue financing, and joint ventures with financial sponsors and financial institutions that need capital
- Distressed real estate assets foreclosed on by lenders
- Real estate held by banks and corporations that need capital
Each opportunity is evaluated based on the underlying asset and our ability to drive long-term value through operating improvements, asset management, or servicing. Hallmarks of Cerberus Real Estate include being a partner of choice to support both the near- and long-term capital needs of a property, and utilizing best-in-class, proprietary and third party platforms to provide expert management of large portfolios.
Real estate equity invested
Real estate transactions
Dedicated real estate investment professionals